SECURITY OFFICER X1
Job Title: Security Officer x1
Peromnes Grade: Peromnes Grade 13 (R 268 804.80 CTC Per Annum)
Location: Pretoria, Head Office
Reporting Line: Manager: Protection Services
Overall Job Purpose: To render a security service through protection, save guarding, and access control with regard to buildings and other premises and their contents according to the prescribed security procedures, rules and regulations in the Council for Geoscience.
- KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Knowledge of access control procedures
- Perform access control function which will include:
- Determine whether the visitors have appointments or the service that the visitor requires
- Contact the relevant employee to confirm the appointment or direct the visitor to the relevant service delivery point
- Complete or ensure the admission control register is completed and issue admission control documents/or cards as required.
- Escort visitors to the relevant employees or venues where and when required
- Operate X-ray machines where applicable
- Lock and unlock entrances
- Identify suspicious conduct
- Ensure that unauthorised persons and dangerous goods do not enter the premises/buildings
- Follow-up on incidents and record on incident register
- Ensure safety in the buildings and the premises. This will include the following:
- Undertake building/premises patrols to identify and check –
- That doors are locked or unlock as required
- Water leaks and taps are closed
- Fire hazards, exposed electrical contacts and other fire hazards emanating from for instance chemicals
- Lights, switch off and off as required; and
- Suspicious objects and packages
- Apply emergency procedures in line with the emergency evacuation policy and procedure of the CGS
- Responding to alarms (fire, panic, burglar alarms) and any other emergency alarms activated
- Assist with security patrol during special events and provide record of incidents during special events
- Ensure that equipment, documents and stores do not leave or enter the premises or building unauthorised. This will include the following:
- Complete or ensure that the registers to control the movement of equipment, store and documents are completed.
- Ensure that no equipment, stores and assets of the CGS leave the building/premises unauthorised.
- Inspect vehicles entering and leaving the premises.
- Gather information and reporting missing and stolen equipment and stores
- Handle documents at point of entry according to classification and the prescripts.
- Ensure that all incidents are recorded in the occurrence books/registers.
- Ensure that all National Key Point/ Critical Infrastructure specific security requirements are adhered to and that the client’s needs are efficiently and professionally met at all times.
BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES AND REQUIRED SKILLS
- Knowledge of access control procedures
- Knowledge of measures for the control and movement of equipment and stores.
- Knowledge of security procedures and the authority of the security officers in terms of various legislations and regulations
- Knowledge of the relevant emergency procedures
- Basic understanding of the National Key Point (Critical Infrastructure Protection) Act and Regulations
- Ability to work in a team
- Ability to implement NKP (Critical Infrastructure) requirements
- Ability to handle firearms
- Able to follow instructions accurately
- Must be willing to work in shifts
- Basic literacy (ability to read and write)
- Security inspection and patrolling
- Relevant PSIRA Grade C
- Grade 12 or equivalent
- 2 – 3 years relevant security officers experience
- Valid firearm competency certificate
The Council for Geoscience is committed to Employment Equity and diversity. In accordance with the Employment Equity prescripts, preference will be given but not limited to candidates from under represented designated groups. Females and people from previously disadvantaged groups and sectors are encouraged to apply.
If you meet the above requirements and wish to apply, please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote the position title (Security Officer: Pretoria) as reference when submitting your application.
Correspondence will be limited to shortlisted candidates only. If you have not been contacted within eight (8) weeks after the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.
All appointments are subject to vetting processes. Appointments are subject to positive vetting results.
Closing Date: 05 July 2023