Cape Town, Western Cape
Closing Date: 04 February 2024
Cape Town Campus
Company primary industry
Job functional area
Direct Reporting Line:
Vega School is an educational brand of The Independent Institute of Education (The IIE). The IIE enjoys the reputation of being at the forefront of private higher education in South Africa and is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) to provide higher education qualifications accredited by the Council on Higher Education (CHE).
The IIE’s Vega School, Cape Town Campus has a vacancy for a General Assistant/ Handyman (Facilities).
Duties and Responsibilities:
Pause and Rest Areas
- Setout/return umbrellas
- Ensure courtyard and podium areas are neat and tidy as well as correctly laid out.
- Ensure all hedges are kept neatly trimmed.
- Report any faulty/broken equipment to the Facility Co-ordinator
Setting up of Venues
- Setting up venues for special meetings and returning to original setup thereafter
- Check that all classrooms are ready for lectures.
- Check that desks and chairs are correctly positioned.
- Check that whiteboards are clean and have duster pads.
- Report any faulty/broken equipment to the Facility Coordinator
- Ensure that all wastepaper containers are emptied daily.
- Ensure all waste is separated for recycling.
- Ensure departments have sufficient printing paper.
- Keep all waste/Recycling areas clean and tidy.
- Liaise with security personnel if there are any security issues.
- Assist with campus opening and lock-up requirements when needed.
General Campus Facilities
- Daily checking and reporting of faulty lights.
- Determines and organizes work sequences and on-site applications and,
- Executes repairs and renovations to interior/exterior surfaces fixtures and fittings.
- Basic plumbing, carpentry, and electrical repairs, guiding personnel on applications and requirements.
- Painting and tiling repairs including doors locks and door repairs.
- Perform routine and scheduled maintenance of property including but not limited to: Painting, tiling, cleaning of gutters and general maintenance repairs.
- Maintenance activities undertaken and completed at specific areas.
- Liaise with cleaners to check up that all toilets are clean and tidy.
- Keep all corridors, fire escapes and basement areas free of obstructions.
- Assist Student Experience department as required.
- Assist with deliveries, moving stock and prepare boxes for couriering.
- Assist Marketing department with control and movement of marketing materials.
- Assist all staff with ad-hoc tasks.
- Superior communication (written and verbal) and organisational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage work and self proactively.
- Able to demonstrate a proven track record of effective teaching in subject area based on a reflective practice.
- Able to demonstrate the ability to manage relationships with managers and staff effectively in terms of motivation, quality, and performance.
- Passion for Customer Service
- Experience in the use of technology to enhance learning is an added advantage.
- Hard working
- Good time management
Minimum Education Requirements:
- 5 years’ experience in a 5-star maintenance environment would be an advantage.
Minimum Work Experience Requirements:
- General Assistant/ Handyman experience
The IIE’s Vega is an Equal Opportunity Employer . However, preference will be given to previously underrepresented groups in accordance with the South African Employment Equity Act.
Apply Here: https://vegaschool.simplify.hr/Vacancy/Apply