Job opportunity: Youth Programmes Manager
Youth@SAIIA is looking to appoint a dynamic person who is committed to youth development and public participation.
For over a decade, Youth Programmes at the South African Institute of International Affairs (Youth@SAIIA) has been working to mobilise and capacitate children and youth (13-25 years) across South Africa to become more active citizens and effectively participate in decision-making processes that affect their lives.
Youth@SAIIA seeks to make the following appointment:
Youth Programmes Manager (YPM/0723) 1 Year Contract (Salary band based on experience R360k-R420k.a)
The successful applicant must be able to manage a complex and multi-faceted workload and have demonstrated experience in national/regional level in youth, education and or community engagement projects. This position reports to the Head of Youth Programmes and is based at SAIIA’s head office in Johannesburg. Please note that this position will require national travel for up to 35-40% of the year.
- Run workshops, national school activities, conferences and Youth@SAIIA general events with support from fellow staff and youth network;
- Support national grants programme for youth participants;
- Represent Youth@SAIIA at stakeholder consultations and partner meetings;
- Manage donor reports and project budgets for the successful implementation of our programmes;
- Provide administrative and logistical support and oversight of events, meetings and conferences hosted by Youth@SAIIA;
- Write topics packs and resource materials for participants and educators; and
- Support our growing policy and youth participation work (especially in areas related to climate change, gender, health, and more generally sustainable development).
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS
- A relevant bachelor’s degree and postgraduate qualification (social sciences, education, environment) or any equivalent combination of education and experience;
- A minimum of 5 years of experience with small to large-scale projects in a developing country context;
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in climate policy, environmental/sustainable development education and youth advocacy;
- Experience with school negotiation and debate programmes advantageous;
- Excellent demonstrated written, presentation, communication and organisational skills;
- Good planning and organisational skills;
- Experience with financial management tools and systems;
- Good management and interpersonal skills and ability to work with a diverse team;
- Passion for working with high school learners, teachers, and youth participants; and
- Driver’s licence and own vehicle.
Interested candidates are encouraged to find us on social media at Youth@SAIIA to see our various activities and thematic focus areas. Candidates for this position must submit a cover letter clearly stating why they believe they are the best candidate for this position and a comprehensive CV with contact details of 3 references to, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put ‘application for Youth Programmes Manager’ in the subject line. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be called in for an interview. Applications close on 25 July 2023. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Preference will be given to South African citizens and employment equity candidates. SAIIA reserves the right not to make an appointment.
25 Jul 2023